Friday 19 November 2010

Lists

I made the following set of lists in the week leading up to October 12, because I kept thinking of things I wanted to write down and was never near a computer when I thought of them. Finally I compiled them all into one list-of-lists, which I sent home to amuse my family. I still haven't bought any of the things I meant to, except for the laundry card and detergent, but I have made many more meals and had many more dreams.

THINGS I WAS GOING TO BRING, and DIDN'T
Gel insoles
Clown costume
Other eye liner
Honors thesis
A few more books
Note book(s) from my Bread Loaf classes
A strap-perfect
Championship ring
External hard drive
A few simple silver necklaces
Another sweatshirt...or two

THINGS I KEEP MEANING TO BUY, and HAVEN'T
A pair of boots with sturdy soles
A pair of comfortable and durable walking shoes (brown)
A few more pieces of jewelry to round out my limited collection
A better set of sheets (preferably cotton!) and a decent pillow
Laundry detergent, and a laundry card for the machines here

THINGS I DID LAST THURSDAY (* indicates "SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE")
Went to the Freshers' Fair
Went to the doctor to get prescriptions
Got ice cream at G&D's with W
Went to the Lower Camera for an hour
Took a really fast shower and threw on a dress and some make-up
Went late to the Freshers' meeting
Went early to the Freshers' Dinner
*Drank way too much wine
*Walked to the EPA centre in heels
*Drank way too much alcohol (from bowls labeled Lincoln Blue, Rum & Coke, Gin & Tonic, Screwdriver, Go Green)
Talked to lots of people
*Got walked home by gropey Indian boy
*Fell into bed and woke up with a terrible headache
Discovered that roommate stayed out all night

MEALS I HAVE ATTEMPTED TO MAKE (* indicates "RATHER UNSUCCESSFULLY")
Peanut butter on whole grain bread with apple and/or banana slices (I do this a lot)
Chicken and mushrooms with zucchini (courgettes)
Mushrooms and zucchini over pasta
Sausage meat and mushroom with an egg *
Fresh bread with cheese and leaves from my basil plant drizzled with olive oil
Seasoned chicken with mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, & peas over tagliatelle (and lots of garlic salt)
Sausage and cheddar omelette (in a Le Creuset pot! Only partial success there...)*
Meatballs in red sauce (overcooked, but still tasty)

WEIRD DREAMS or THOUGHTS I HAVE HAD
•Dream: A party going on upstairs at a 50s diner, on the rooftop, I guess, because it was an outdoor venue, and meanwhile criminals break in downstairs and set up some dastardly plot (3rd person)

•Dream: Sitting in what I thought was a trailer home and realising it was actually much larger, and then wondering why the furniture was all cramped into two rooms; then helping to move everything around and redecorate for better organisation and space. I specifically remember Gina moving a chest of drawers and me pulling some receipts off a wall and putting them in an envelope (1st person)

•Sometimes words give me certain sensations. For example, I like the look, feel, and sound of the word "cake." It has pleasing, almost delicious sounds. And it isn't just because of what the word represents, because I feel the same way about the word "name." I think "name" would taste wonderful, if you could eat it.

•When I have work I don't want to be doing, my brain distracts itself by noticing a bit of cuticle on my finger in need of clipping, and twenty minutes later I have scratched and picked and bitten all ten fingers to rawness. While I am reading I start chewing on the inside of my lip, and this becomes such an obsessive habit that there, too, I am raw and ragged. My body suffers for my education!

•Dream: In a room with lots of other people who are watching some program on television. They all get excited about some new video game that is supposed to come out soon. It features a ghost-like character that is small, rather cute despite being faceless, like a little diaphanous sheet that wanders around. A commercial for the game came on the screen showing the little guy walking down stairs (you see little feet-like bumps in the sheet) and pushing against something (hand-like protrusions). I remember Noah (11th grader) was there, and I had to get him to explain to me what all the fuss was about. He did, but I can't recall what he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment